Things to Know Before Firing Up Your Gas Fireplace

Your trusty gas fireplace is the perfect solution for complete home heating. Nothing beats the warmth and glow of a relaxing fireplace when the temperature starts dropping, but relighting your gas fireplace calls for a few safety precautions. Here are some things you should know before firing up your gas fireplace again.

Dust off your fireplace and blower

You may think that relighting your fireplace will burn off any dust and leftover debris, but it’s not a smart idea. Not only will lighting a dirty fireplace spread dust through the air, but it will also leave a foul smell throughout your home. In some cases, this dust can cause allergies to flare up or trigger an asthma attack.

A rag is an excellent tool for dedusting your fireplace. Use a stiff-bristle brush to scrub off stuck debris, then vacuum up the remaining dust. Be gentle when cleaning any lighting gas logs, as they can be delicate and a hassle to replace. If you follow a scheduled gas fire maintenance plan, there will be less to clean during every session, and you’ll stay familiar with every part of your fireplace, and you can even detect early signs of wear.

Double-check gas valves and connections

If you’ve had your gas fireplace turned off for an extended period, one thing you should do before using your gas fireplace to heat your home is double-check the valves and connections before turning them back on. Ensure there are no leaks by spraying a soapy water solution around the connections and checking for bubbles. If you do find any leaks, have them fixed by a professional before using the fireplace again.

In addition to checking for leaks, ensure that your gas valves are open and ready to be relit. Your fireplace should have a valve located on the wall or other inconspicuous part of your home’s exterior that will need to be opened before you can use the fireplace again.

Check for carbon monoxide buildup

Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas that can build up when your fireplace is in use. It can build up in any fireplace, such as a Lopi gas insert. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be very subtle and mimic the flu, so it’s essential to take precautions against carbon monoxide buildup.

If you don’t have a carbon monoxide detector, we strongly recommend getting one. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, make sure it’s working correctly and check the expiration date on the batteries. If your detector is nearing the end of its life, consider replacing it with a newer model to ensure that you and your family can remain safe and healthy during its use.

Light it up

Once everything is set and ready to go, and you can confirm the pilot light is on, you can light up your gas fireplace. Make sure the area around the fireplace isn’t flammable and has been cleared of all furniture before turning on any gas. Grab a long-handled oven mitt or fire poker to gently turn on the gas supply to your fireplace without having to come into contact with any flames. Contact us at Fireside today if you are in the market for a new heating solution, such as the Lopi gas fireplace in Sydney!

Related Posts

Lopi Radiant Plus Large Gas Fireplace Insert

The Best Fireplaces For a Large Room

There's nothing quite like a roaring fire on a cold winter's night. But if you're ...
Read More
Lopi Rockport Wood Stove

Important Wood Stove Safety Tips Every Owner Should Know

A wood-burning stove can be a great way to heat your home and save on ...
Read More
Aether suspended fireplace for sale

Fireplace Trends for 2022 – Inspiring Ideas

A fireplace is a beautiful addition to any home that needs an effective heating solution ...
Read More